I’m not a red meat eater, but I do enjoy a cheesesteak every once in a while. If you have ever had a Philly cheesesteak, then I’m sure you understand where I’m coming from. This twist on the cheesesteak looked awesome, and I knew my husband would appreciate the no carb aspect.
- 8 oz. thinly sliced roast beef (I used the frozen cheesesteak beef slices)
- 8 slices Provolone cheese (I used American)
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I left these out)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. garlic – minced
- Salt and pepper – to tasts
1. Slice peppers in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds. I had trouble with the stems. If you pull them off, you are left with a giant hole on one side. I just left them on for baking.
2. Slice onions and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat with butter, olive oil, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. Slice roast beef into thin strips and add to the onion/mushroom mixture. Allow to cook 5-10 minutes. If you use the frozen stuff like I did, just follow the cooking instructions on the package then add to onion/mushroom mixture when done.
5. Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of cheese. Then, fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are nearly overflowing. Top each with another slice of cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown.
Mmmm mmmm mmmm! These were delicious! I’ve never made stuffed peppers without steaming them first, so I was curious to see how the peppers would turn out. They definitely have some crunch to them, so I would recommend steaming them first if you don’t want that extra crunch. I think I’ll try steaming them next time just to compare. I will be making them again for sure!
Peace, Love, and Low Carb