My husband is usually the one in charge of breakfast in our house, but he was more than happy to give up the reigns for this one. This Baked Oatmeal shocked us. We were totally amazed by how good it was. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients either. It’s super easy to make!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice (I just used cinnamon.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped (I left these out because of the little man.)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (I used frozen mixed berries. I would definitely recommend this!)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, Chinese five spice, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, walnuts and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal). In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shimmy/shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.
She also suggests preparing the recipe the night before so you can just pop it in the oven first thing in the morning. It really doesn’t take more than 10 minutes to throw everything together though. My husband loved it so much that he said it should be something that we just have in the refrigerator all the time. It looks like I’ll be making this one a lot more!