I don’t know about you, but I love Cheez-Its! What I don’t love are all the preservatives and high sodium that they bring with them. This pin was actually suggested to me from a fellow blogger, so I did it myself, on my Suggest a Pin page. She didn’t have success with it the first time she tried, but I think she’ll be excited to learn that it can be done. I’m so happy she suggested that I try them!
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small squares
- 1 (8-ounce) bag grated extra-sharp 2% Cheddar cheese (preferably orange)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor, and pulse until crumbly. Add cold water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together.
2. Form into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper, and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet, and, using pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 1 inch squares. Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 25 minutes. Test for crispiness; crackers may take a few minutes more to finish crisping. Remove from oven when crisp and just starting to brown. Let cool and serve.