Yes, I’m posting yet another recipe featuring quinoa. I can’t help it. This stuff is awesome! This may look more like a side dish, but it can actually stand on its own as a main dish.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I only used one can and it was plenty)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained (These weren’t in the original recipe, I added them after reading many of the comments from others)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans, tomatoes and cilantro.
Yum! This dish packs a lot of flavor and it kept me coming back for more. Everyone in the family loved this one, so it will definitely be added to the rotation!